The history of the Brockway Company began in 1851 in the town of Homer, near New York, where William Brockway opened his car repair shop. After 35 years, the matter passed to his son George, who, having moved to the neighboring Cortland, founded in 1912 a new company for the production of trucks. The first car of the brand "Brockway" was a 650 kg wagon with a 3-cylinder 2-stroke air-cooled engine and high wooden wheels, similar to a Chase truck. The following year, he added a 2-ton model "D" with the engine company Continental.
At the end of the First World War, Brockway specialized in models with a payload capacity of 1.5-5.0 tons with the gadgets of other manufacturers. Already in 1917, the chain drive replaced them with cardan ones. The "S2", "K3", "K" R2 "and" T "models were of the same design and were equipped with Continental or Wisconsin motors, Brown-Lif boxes with Timkken gear, pneumatic tires were available on request only for light models In the year of 1928, 5,500 trucks were manufactured, and the profits from their sale allowed Indiana to be bought back, but during the great depression it had to be sold to White. (Manuals PDF page)
Since 1930, Brockway has started producing and lifting trucks from 250 kg to 7 tons. To reduce costs, the company offers the same chassis for equipping them with gasoline or electric engines. In 30-ies. "Brockway" has already started up 26 hood models "X" (from "78X" to "260" with a capacity of 1.5-9, with 6-cylinder engines "Continental" powerful 71-135 hp and 5-speed boxes In 1934, Brockway produced one of the heaviest trucks at that time - a 30-ton V1200 with an American LaFrance engine of 240 hp, which provided the car with a speed of 72 km / h. The Second World War strengthened the financial position of the company, which built 1165 6-ton army trucks of the "666" model (6x6) modeled on the White truck.
In the early 50's. "Brockway" offered 20 models, which became the development of pre-war models. The novelties on the heaviest 260X series are only Eaton (Fault Codes page) 2-speed rear axles and cabins with a sleeping place. Gradually the company began to lose its won positions: if in 1946 it produced 4212 cars, then in 1954 - only 611. The result did not take long to wait: in August 1956 Brookuei became a division of Mack.(Operating Manuals PDF page) Having initially relative independence, the company in 1958 introduced a new series of hood trucks Huskie with the logo in the form of a dog of husky, who worked in sled dogs in the northern American territories.
In 1961, this range consisted of 16 models with a gross mass of up to 17.5 tons, which first appeared diesel Cummins (Fault Codes page) and Detroit Diesel (Fault Codes page) with a capacity of 125-200 hp, and later Caterpillar. Increased influence of the company "Mack" began in 1963, when a heavy 3-axle series "400" installed a cab over the engine from trucks "Mack" series "F", later applied to a series of 2-axle tractors "500".
Since 1968, they used the transmission Huskiedrive, which included a 5- or 8-speed transmission and 2-stage driving bridges. The development of the series "400" in 1971 was the gamma of low-frame chassis Huskiteer for garbage trucks and fire trucks. Since1975 the company produced a heavy hood series "700", differing from the trucks "Mack" series "R" only by the shape and lining of the radiator.