Some INTERNATIONAL Harvester IH, Farmall Tractors Service Manuals PDF are above the page - 274, Super A, Farmall A AV, Farmall Cube.
The roots of International Harvester go back to the distant 1830s. It was then that Cyrus Hall McCormick, the inventor from Virginia, completed work on his horse-drawn plow. The plow was demonstrated during testing in 1831, and patented by Cyrus in 1834.
Together with his brother, McCormick moved to the city of Chicago in 1847 and founded McCormick Harvesting Machine Company there.
The plows of McCormick's designs were sold well, in part, thanks to Cyrus's ingenuity and his own innovations in the business sphere. He developed a system of marketing and sales, based on extensive networks of professionally trained staff across the country, ready to demonstrate the operation of the device in the field.
McCormick died in Chicago, and his business passed to his son, Cyrus McCormick, the youngest. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company, the Deering Harvester Company and three small enterprises (Milwaukee, Plano, Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner) merged to create the International Harvester Company.
And by 1919, the company Parlin and Orendorff in Canton, Illinois, have become one of the leading in the arable and manufacturing industries. In the same years, the newly formed company International Harvester Company acquired a new plant, called Canton Works. Active work on it continued for the next dozens of years.
In 1926, the production was overtaken by a new expansion - the Farmall Works plant in Rock Island, Illinois, built exclusively for the construction of a new tractor called Farmall. In just three years 130,000 tractors of this model were produced.
The next goal of International Harvester Company was the introduction of a truly "people's tractor" on the American market, which was intended for the average American farmer. The result of work on this project was a tractor designed by the well-known engineer Raymond Lowie and released into mass production in 1939.
In those years, this tractor enjoyed huge consumer demand. It was his production and raised the company International Harvester Company to the leading position of the American market, and therefore, during almost all the 1940's and 1950's, the company boasted a huge number of sales in the field of machinery and equipment for the processing of land.
In 1946, the company acquired a military defense plant in Louisville, Kentucky, which was significantly expanded and converted to produce Farmall A, B tractors and a new tractor model under the index 340.
In 1974, a 5-millionth tractor was produced by the International Harvester Company on factory in the city of Rock Island.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, despite a significant number of sales and strong demand, the margin of the International Harvester Company remained low. The regular appearance of separate activities that are not related to the main business prevented the company's management from concentrating on the main source of profit, and also made the company's device somewhat cumbersome.
Too conservative management, as well as rigid policies within the company, tended to stifle new strategies and forms of management, together with technological innovations. The sale was obsolete technology, which, despite a small contribution to total sales, continued to be produced.
Worse, International Harvester Company was not only facing the problem of the most severe competition in the US market. The company also had to deal with the increase in the number of production costs associated with the new safety and environmental regulations introduced by the government.
In 1979, the International Harvester Company was headed by a new director, who decided to increase the company's profit by reducing the cost structure. Production in the factories was strictly limited, and unprofitable production lines were completely reduced. By the end of the year, this had yielded positive results. The profit of International Harvester was the highest for the last 10 years of work. However, the company's budget was still meager. In addition, members of the union were angry that the leadership had made cuts, and also took some other "extreme" measures to save money.
In the spring and summer of 1979, the inevitable labor strikes began at the International Harvester plants. In this regard, on November 1 of the same year, accounting reports were published, according to which it was found out that the president and chief chairman Archie McCurdell received an increase in salary of $ 1.8 million. To commit illegal operations, McCurdell used fraud with papers, as well as loopholes in the legislation of the United States of America on employees of automobile enterprises (UAW). This led to a new strike the very next day, on November 2.
Immediately strikes affected the economy of the International Harvester Company - the company was hit by the financial crisis. The strike lasted 6 months, and after its completion it became clear that the company lost about $ 600 million in profits (more than 2 billion at today's rate).
Every year the situation of the company became worse. A new strike of workers, accompanied by economic problems and problems within the company, dropped the International Harvester Company into a pit, from which there was only one sane exit. But they did not use the company's management. By 1984, the position of International Harvester was completely disastrous, which led to a complete collapse in the same year.
On November 26, 1984, a significant portion of the International Harvester Company's industrial complexes were sold to Tenneco, Inc. In Tenneco went to this acquisition, since their separation, enterprise J.I. Case, was engaged in the production of tractors and did not have at its disposal a wide range of agricultural machinery, which was obtained after the purchase of IH enterprises (combines, soil cultivation equipment, etc.).
After this merger, the production of tractors at Rock Island at Illinois Farmall Works was curtailed in May 1985. Production of new models of tractors (for example, Case IH) International Harvester Company moved to the plant J.I. Case Tractor Works in Racine, Wisconsin. Manufacture of combines was established in the city of East Molin, Illinois, it became possible due to the merger of the two factories. Memphis Works in Memphis, Tennessee, was closed down, and the production of cotton harvesting machines was moved to another location.
The production of trucks and engines was retained by the International Harvester Company, which in 1986 changed its name to Navistar International Corporation. The former name, along with all the official symbols, was sold to Tenneco Inc., so that it would be easier for this company to distribute products under the previous brand. Actually, Navistar International Corporation continued to manufacture medium and heavy trucks, school buses and engines under the brand name International.